An Update and Call for Prayer
Natural disasters like floods, earthquakes and storms are always devastating—but particularly so for those who are already in dire need. Many of the Haitian people were struggling before Hurricane Matthew ravaged this already hurting island nation.
In times of crisis, questions like “Why did this happen?” or “Why the Haitian people?” are swept away by the opportunities to help.
Because of the support of generous donors like you and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), MAF has been able to serve in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew in Haiti.
MAF flights have supported partner organizations such as Samaritan’s Purse, Haiti Bible Mission, Solidarity Dame-Marian, Inc., MedAir, and so many more!
Because of your support:
- MAF aircraft have flown 193 flight hours for relief and recovery efforts
- Over 20,000 lbs. food, medicines, and supplies were delivered
- Over 500 passengers from 38 different agencies were flown into the hardest-hit areas
While these efforts have done much to help alleviate suffering, there is still a long way to go. Outbreaks of cholera and typhoid have begun to spring up in the wake of Hurricane Matthew.
We currently are fully funded for the MAF Haiti efforts—again because of the generosity of people like you—but the people of Haiti still desperately need your prayers!
Here are some specific ways you can be praying:
- Pray that Christian organizations working in Haiti will be effective in providing both physical and spiritual help.
- Pray for those people in small, out-of-the-way communities that may be overlooked in the relief efforts.
- Pray for the physical, mental, and spiritual health of our team members and other aid workers.
- Give thanks for the DFID grant and many gifts from supporters for the disaster response work.
- Pray about the security situation and safety of the aid workers.
- Pray that rain will not hamper aid efforts.
- Give thanks for roads that have opened and communications that have been restored.
- Pray for the safety of children who are at risk.
- Pray for the injured, the homeless, the suffering, and those who have lost livelihoods.
- Pray that the people will be protected against cholera and other illnesses.